Filter by Tags
dot-net c-sharp

How to “properly” override a base class method?

Votes

2 0
This Question is asked to:

Whenever i override a method of a base class, other than my implementation of this method, i seem to have 3 choices.

1) Call base.Method(), and then provide my implementation.

2) Provide my implementation and then call base.Method()

3) Just provide my implementation.

Recently while using a library i have realized few bugs that were introduced because of not implementing the method as expected by the library. I am not sure if that is bad on part of library, or something wrong in my understanding.

I will take one example.

public class ViewManager {  public virtual void Customize(){  PrepareBaseView();  }  }    public class PostViewManager {  public override void Customize(){  base.Customize();  PreparePostView();  }  }      public class PreViewManager {  public override void Customize(){  PreparePreView();  base.Customize();  }  }      public class CustomViewManager {  public override void Customize(){  PrepareCustomView();  }  }

My question here is that how could a child class know (without taking a look at base class implementation) which order (or option) is being expected by the parent class? Is there a way in which parent class could enforce one of the three alternates to all the deriving classes?

Ravinder Singh
Posted on : Tue, Apr 12, 2016
Views : 743
Comments

Ask Question

If you want to ask question you must LogIn or SignUp
Login SignUp
To Add your Answer Please
LogIn | SignUp

Quick Links

E-Magazines

@